1. Imagine that you are in a debate with someone who asserts that, just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, art is whatever the spectator thinks it is; there are no rules, no criteria, no universal boundaries delineating what is and what is not art, who is and who is not an artist. If something expresses or creates an aesthetic or emotional response, it is art.
Your task is to take the other side of the debate: How would you respond to and rebut this view? In the first chapter of Living with Art, Getlein lists six roles that artists fulfill; these may help you in coming up with your response. Come up with points and specific examples of art works to support of the other side of the debate, which is that not just anything can be art, not just anyone can be an artist: There are established and justifiable criteria to confer that status upon objects and individuals. (250 words)
2. In Chapter 5, Getlein covers the principles of design. For each term listed, identify an art work art included in the text, Living with Art, but NOT mentioned in either Chapter 4 or Chapter 5, that illustrates the principle in question and explain why you chose it.
Note: in some cases you will find both the contrasting principles in the same work, (i.e. a painting that has both emphasis and subordination). You will have a minimum of 5 art works selected, maximum of 9. A required part of this question is to explain WHY you chose each work. Make sure we can “see” what you are seeing. Please include both the page number and illustration number in your response. (250 words)
1) unity and variety (describe an example of both terms here, either in the same work or in 2 different works)
2) symmetrical and asymmetrical balance (describe an example of both terms here, either in the same work or in 2 different works)
3) emphasis and subordination (describe an example of both terms here, either in the same work or in 2 different works)
4) scale and proportion (describe an example of both terms here, either in the same work or in 2 different works)
Getlein, Mark. Living with Art, 9th Ed., New York: McGraw-Hill, 2010
I need this no later than 2/7/13 10pm eastern time
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more