Case Study: Royal Bank of Canada in Thailand
This case analyzes the problems facing a bank in a foreign country and the reasons for deciding to stay or to close its operation. Royal Bank of Canada is the bank involved in this real life situation.
After closing its representative office in Thailand in the 1980’s Royal Bank of Canada reentered the country in 1997. “Now” Royal Bank of Canada needs to decide if it feels confortable enough with the decisions made by the government of Thailand and the IMF, and the future outlook to stay in the country or if on the other hand, it
should cut its losses and focus its efforts elsewhere.
Your assignment is to:
1. Demonstrate a through understanding of the case by describing in great detail all aspects of the case
2. Prepare a detail recommendation for senior management recommending to stay in the country or to leave the country
3. Write a brief summary of major insights that you have gained and lessons
learned from the case
In your presentation you must be sure to provide answers for all these questions or issues:
1. What were RBC’s ultimate goals in opening a representative office in Thailand?
2. How large is the initial staff for the office and what is the estimated pretax
3. What are RBC’s four major business lines in its Asia Pacific network?
4. What are the limitations of BIBF licenses?
5. What are the advantages of the possible upgrading of RBC’s operations in Thailand to a branch status?
6. What are Thailand’s most important exports?
7. What is the “current” (1997) situation in Thailand?
8. What are the highlights of the IMF’s bailout of Thailand?
9. As RBC’s representative in Thailand you need to prepare a detailed recommendation for senior management to either:
a. Stay in the country and “weather the storm”, which perhaps means to take losses for an extended period of time
b. Cut your losses now and have the bank focus on its efforts elsewhere, which means forgetting about getting back in the country in the foreseeable future
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more